Born in 1970, in Palestine. Lives and works in Palestine.
Through a documentary aesthetics, her photographic work addresses the contradictory implications of the notion of home. It deals with the loss of home and the fight against that loss, but also with restrictions and limitations that the idea of home imposes on individuals and communities marked by repressive identity politics.
Ramallah Archive (2014) points to ways of reorganizing collective and individual existence in files and negatives at the Ramallah Municipality Archive, and the contemporary city; Death (2011-2012) shows the efforts of Palestinian society to preserve the presence of those who lost their lives fighting against the Israeli colonial occupation; Trauma (2008–09) starting point is the monuments that commemorate members of the French resistance against the Nazis together with French fighters in the colonial wars against peoples who demanded their own independence; in Eastern LGBT (2004 / 2006) the bodies of lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgenders from Oriental societies appear as a contested primary home; Dependence (2007) explores the distribution of bodily strength between the old and the young; Dom Dziecka. The house starves when you are away (2008) shows how children in Polish orphanages reconfigure their bodies to create particular communities of their own.
* accompanying publications
- Ahlam Shibli: Phantom Home. Museu d’Art Contemporani de Barcelona (MACBA), Jeu de Paume, Paris, and Museu de Arte Contemporânea de Serralves, Porto. Curated by Carles Guerra, Marta Gili, João Fernandes, and Isabel Braga. Retrospective.*
- Ahlam Shibli: Trauma. Château de Sédières, Clergoux, Corrèze. With the support of Peuple et Culture Corrèze. Featuring Goter, Trauma.*
- Ahlam Shibli: Why did you leave the forest empty! Darat al Funun—The Khalid Shoman Foundation, Amman. Curated by Suha Shoman. Featuring Goter, The Valley, Arab al-Sbaih.*
- Ahlam Shibli: Wydomowienie. Museum of Modern Art in Warsaw, Warsaw. Curated by Ana Janevski. Featuring Dom Dziecka. The house starves when you are away, An Introduction to and Nine Chapters from Dependence, Trackers.
- Ahlam Shibli: Trackers, The Valley. Espace photographique Contretype, Brussels. In the context of Masarat 2008.
- Ahlam Shibli: Goter, Trackers. Dundee Contemporary Arts, Dundee. Curated by Katrina Brown.
- Ahlam Shibli: Trackers. Kunsthalle Basel, Basel. Curated by Adam Szymczyk.*
- Ahlam Shibli: Lost Time. Ikon Gallery, Birmingham. Curated by Jonathan Watkins. Featuring Self Portrait, Unrecognised, Goter.*
- Documenta 14: Lerning from Athins. Kassel. Curated by, Documenta 14 artistic director, Adam Szymczyk.
- Documenta 14: Lerning from Athins. The National Museum of Contemporary Art (EMST) / Το Εθνικό Μουσείο Σύγχρονης Τέχνης (ΕΜΣΤ), Athens. Curated by, Documenta 14 artistic director, Adam Szymczyk. Featuring Occupation.
- The Winter of Our Discontent. Galerie Martin Janda, Vienna. Curated by EJacopo Crivelli Visconti. Featuring Arab al-Sbaih.
- Alive in the Dead Sea (1995-2015). Darat al Funun—The Khalid Shoman Foundation, Amman. Curated by Eline van der Vlist and Suha Shoman. Featuring Death.
- Strange Worlds. Foro Boario—Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Modena, Modena. Curated by Filippo Maggia. Featuring Trackers.*
- la terre nous est etroite, regards croisés sur la palestine. Le 19 CRAC Montbéliard—Centre régional d'art contemporain, Montbéliards. Curater Philippe Cyroulnik. Featuring Ramallah Archive.
- Formes biographiques. Carré d'Art—Musée d'art contemporain de Nîmes, Nîmes. Curated by Jean-François Chevrier. Featuring Refuge in Frost.*
- Uncovering History. Camera Austria, Graz. In cooperation with the Universalmuseum Joanneum. Curated by Reinhard Braun. Featuring The Valley.*
- Progress and Hygiene. Zachęta—National Gallery of Art, Warsaw. Curated by Anda Rottenberg. Featuring Death.*
- Outside the Archive. Series of Ramallah Municipality exhibitions in Qalandiya International II: Archives, Lived and Shared. Featuring Ramallah Archive. Society of Ramallah Federation Palestine, Ramallah.*
- The Ever Changing Body, Deel III. Museumcultuur Strombeek Gent, Cultuurcentrum Strombeek Grimbergen, Strombeek-Bever. Curated by Luk Lambrecht. Featuring An introduction to and nine chapters from "Dependence", Self Portrait.
- Vi lever på en stjerne / We are Living on a Star. Henie Onstad Kunstsenter, Høvikodden. Curated by Tone Hansen and Marit Paasche. Featuring Dom Dziecka. The house starves when you are away.*
- Atlas of Modernity. The 20th and 21st Century Art Collection. Muzeum Sztuki, Lodz. Curated by Jarosław Suchan, Aleksandra Jach, Paulina Kurc-Maj, Maria Morzuch, Anna Saciuk-Gąsowska, Joanna Sokołowska, Katarzyna Słoboda, and Magdalena Ziółkowska. Featuring Goter.*
- Biographical Forms. Construction and Individual Mythologies. Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía, Madrid. Curated by Jean-François Chevrier. Featuring Death, Trauma.*
- Three True Stories. Foro Boario—Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Modena, Modena. Curated by Filippo Maggia, Claudia Fini and Francesca Lazzarini. Featuring Death.*
- In the Heart of the Country. Museum of Modern Art in Warsaw. Featuring Dom Dziecka. The house starves when you are away.
- HIWAR | Conversations in Amman. Darat al Funun—The Khalid Shoman Foundation, Amman. Curated by Adriano Pedrosa. Featuring Arab al-Sbaih.
- Image Counter Image. Haus der Kunst, Munich. Curated by Patrizia Dander, León Krempel, Julienne Lorz, and Ulrich Wilmes. Featuring Trackers.*
- Time, Place, and the Camera: Photographs at Work. 12th Gjon Mili International Photography Prize Exhibition, National Gallery of Kosovo, Prishtinë. Curated by Christine Frisinghelli. Featuring Arab al-Sbaih, The Valley.
- A Rock and a Hard Place. Old Intersection-Make it New. The 3rd Thessaloniki Biennale of Contemporary Art, State Museum of Contemporary Art, Thessaloniki. Curated by Paolo Colombo, Mahita El Bacha Urieta, and Marina Fokidis. Featuring Trauma.*
- Courage. Contemporary Art from the Fondazione Sandretto Re Rebaudengo. Centro Saint-Bénin, Aosta. Curated by Ilaria Bonacossa. Featuring Trackers.
- Framed / Unframed.Birzeit University Museum, Ramallah. Curated by Vera Tamari and Inass Yassin. Featuring Unrecognised.
- Out of Place. Tate Modern, London, and Darat al Funun—The Khalid Shoman Foundation, Amman. Curated by Ala’Younis and Kasia Redzisz. Featuring Goter, The Valley.
- Breaking News. Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Modena, Modena. Curated by Filippo Maggia. Featuring Trackers.*
- Early Years. KW Institute for Contemporary Art, Berlin. Curated by Sebastian Cichocki, Ana Janevski, Katarzyna Karwanska, and Joanna Mytkowska. Featuring Dom Dziecka. The house starves when you are away.
- Negotiations: The Second Today’s Documents 2010. Today Art Museum, Beijing. Curated by Huang Du and JonathanWatkins. Featuring Eastern LGBT.*
- To the Arts, Citizens! Museu de Arte Contemporânea de Serralves, Porto. Curated by Óscar Faria and João Fernandes. Featuring Trauma, Nine Days in Wahat al-Salam.*
- Connected Barcelona, Transnational Citizens: Migratory Growth and Urban Practices. History Museum of Barcelona, Barcelona. Curated by Joan Roca. Featuring An Introduction to and Nine Chapters from "Dependence".
- En todas partes. Políticas de la diversidad sexual en el arte / Everywhere: Sexual Diversity Policies in Art. Centro Galego de Arte Contemporáneo (CGAC), Santiago de Compostela. Curated by Juan Vicente Aliaga. Featuring Eastern LGBT.
- Les Inquiets: Cinq artistes sous la pression de la guerre. Centre Pompidou, Paris. Curated by Joanna Mytkowska. Featuring The Valley, Positioning.*
- Éclats de frontiers. FRAC Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur, Marseille. Featuring Trackers, Goter.
- Universal Archive: The Condition of the Document and the Modern Photographic Utopia. Museu d’Art Contemporani de Barcelona (MACBA), Barcelona. Curated by Jorge Ribalta. Featuring Dependence.*
- Zones of Conflict. Pratt Manhattan Gallery, New York. Curated by T.J. Demos. Featuring Arab al-Sbaih, Goter.*
- Cómo vivir juntos. Selección 27ª Bienal de São Paulo, Museo de Arte Contemporáneo and Facultad de Artes, Universidad de Chile, Santiago. Curated by Lisette Lagnado. Featuring Eastern LGBT, Market.*
- Documenta 12. Kassel. Curated by Roger M. Buergel and Ruth Noack. Featuring Arab al-Sbaih, Goter.*
- Opening Hours. Rebecca M. Camhi Gallery, Athens. Curated by Pier Luigi Tazzi. Featuring Horse Race in Jericho.*
- A Tale of Two Cities: Busan–Seoul / Seoul–Busan. Busan Biennale 2006, Busan. Curated by Manu Park. Featuring Trackers.*
- How to Live Together. 27ª Bienal de São Paulo, São Paulo. Curated by Lisette Lagnado, co-curated by Cristina Freire, Rosa Martínez, Adriano Pedrosa, and José Roca. Featuring Eastern LGBT, Market.*
- The Unhomely: Phantom Scenes in Global Society. 2nd International Biennial of Contemporary Art of Seville, Seville.Curated by Okwui Enwezor. Featuring Catastrophe: Mt. Tabor, Berlin, Halisa.*
- Home Ground. Ivan Dougherty Gallery, University of New South Wales, Sydney. Curated by Felicity Fenner. Featuring Unrecognised.*
- 9th International Istanbul Biennial, Istanbul. Curated by Vasif Kortun and Charles Esche. Featuring Unrecognised.*
- The Pantagruel Syndrome. T1 Torino Triennale Tremusei, Turin. Curated by Francesco Bonami. Featuring Trackers.*
- Non-Sect Radical: Contemporary Photography III. Yokohama Museum of Art, Yokohama. Curated by Taro Amano. Featuring Goter, Self Portrait.*
- Ostati ili Oticci / Bleiben oder Gehen / Staying or Leaving. Hrvatski Fotosavez, UmjetnickomPaviljon, Zagreb, and Camera Austria, Graz. Curated by Christine Frisinghelli and Sandra Križic Roban. Featuring Goter.*
- Unscene. Stephen Lawrence Gallery, University of Greenwich, London. Curated by Kelly O’Reilly. Featuring Goter.
- Ahlam Shibli: Dependence. edited by Ulrich Loock, texts by Ahlam Shibli, Ediciones Originales, Barcelona, 2013. [english, arabic, spanish]
- Ahlam Shibli: Phantom Home. exhibition catalogue, texts by T.J. Demos and Esmail Nashif, Museu d’Art Contemporani de Barcelona (MACBA), Jeu de Paume, Paris, Museu de Arte Contemporânea de Serralves, Porto and Hatje Cantz, Ostfildern 2013. [english, french, portuguese, (online spanish and catalan)]
- Ahlam Shibli: Go there, Eat the mountain, Write the past. exhibition catalogue, texts by Mahmoud Abu Hashhash, Ulrich Loock, and Sarah A. Rogers, Darat al Funun—The Khalid Shoman Foundation, Amman 2011. [english, arabic]
- Ahlam Shibli: Trauma. exhibition catalogue, texts by Ulrich Loock, Adania Shibli, and Manée Teyssandier, Peuple et Culture Corrèze, Tulle 2010. [english, french]
- Ahlam Shibli: Trackers. exhibition catalogue, edited by Adam Szymczyk, texts by John Berger, Jean-François Chevrier, Okwui Enwezor, Rhoda Kanaaneh, and Adam Szymczyk, Verlag der Buchhandlung Walther König, Cologne 2007. [english]
- Ahlam Shibli: Lost Time. exhibition catalogue, edited by Jonathan Watkins, texts by John Berger, Kamal Boullata, and Ulrich Loock, Ikon Gallery, Birmingham 2003. [english]
- Ahlam Shibli: Goter. exhibition catalogue, edited and texts by Ulrich Loock, Tel Aviv Museum of Art and Nathan Gottesdiener Foundation, Tel Aviv, 2003. [english, arabic, hebrew]
Lectures | Talks | Workshops
- 21 April 2017, 18:00 | Conversation, Ahlam Shibli and Antonio Zúñiga | ArtsLibris Barcelona, Barcelona International Fair of Contemporary Editions, 8th edition @ Arts Santa Mònica, Barcelona.
- 4 April 2017, 18:00 | Guided tour for the work Occupation, Ahlam Shibli | Documenta 14 | Chorus | @ The National Museum of Contemporary Art (EMST), Athens.
- 24 March 2017, 19:30 | Artist talk, Ahlam Shibli | Documenta 14 | Chorus weekend 4 | @ Campus Center Universität Kassel, Kassel.
- 11—13 September 2016, 12:00—17:00 | Ahlam Shibli | From Image to Subject Matter | Workshop @ Batumi Photo Days| Batumi.
- 26 July 2016, 18:00 | Art and Censorship, Ahlam Shibli and Joanna Warsza | Salzburg International Summer Academy of Fine Arts | Artist talk @ Galerie 5020 [Fünfzigzwanzig], Salzburg.
- 18—30 July 2016 | Ahlam Shibli | The Notion of Subject Matter | Workshop @ Salzburg International Summer Academy of Fine Arts | Salzburg.
- 21 April 2016, 18:00—19:30 | Ahlam Shibli | Phantom Home | Public Lecture @ Department of Architecture, College of Architecture & Urban Planning, Tongji University, Shanghai.
- 23 January 2016, 18:00 | Authority and Censorship in Art, Ahlam Shibli and Rula Halawani in Conversation with dr. Faisal Darraj and Ahmad Zatari | Talk @ Darat al Funun—The Khalid Shoman Foundation, main building, Amman.
- 21—23 April 2016 | Ediciones Originales | ArtsLibris Barcelona, International Fair of Contemporary Editions, 8th Edition | Arts Santa Mònica.
- 24—28 Febuary 2016 | Ediciones Originales | ARCOmadrid 2016 | Sección ArtsLibris.